Garnier - Garnier Olia caused hair to fall out.

34 of 34 Garnier Reviews
Dec 30, 2012
review #371448

I found Garnier's new product Olia hair color on the shelves at Wal-Mart this morning and decided to give it a try.I have used boxed hair color in the past and have always had good luck.

I used shade darkest brown 3.0. Following the directions I rinsed the hair color out in the shower and upon applying the conditioner noticed that my hair was coming out in clumps!

Not only is my hair thinner, damaged and NOT the color I thought it would be now I have to live with the fact that this supposedly "great" product made a lot of my hair fall out!I am so upset and would NEVER recomend this product to anyone else.

8acfb94
0.6
Had an experience with Garnier?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
34 of 34 Garnier Reviews

Aug 30

I'm facing the same problem since about 2 months ago.... has anyone found a solution to this
hair fall already... or any remedy to stop it... pls do share if you have a way to stop this.....

upset customer

Aug 08

I have used olia hair dye and have experience hair thinning and hair loss. Please becareful about using this product. Would not recommend at all. I have tingling on my scalp and have bald patchs. It has been three month since I last use it and my head and hair is still the same, have been dying my hair for years and never experienced anything like this, one very unhappy customer, would not use again.

Sony 17

Jul 17

My hair is not falling out,yet.Did not cover grays.On the box it's says 100% in my case it's 0%,and I've been coloring my hair for nine years.My hair is extremly dry now,and I have headache...for days.Never,ever again.

Jacki

Jul 03

I've just experienced fall out! Like clumps in the shower! I thought it was from lack of brushing today. WTF

gabby

Jun 27

I have been using the olia dye for monthes now, and have been 100% satisfied. I have used various shades of red in my hair and had wonderful results. No hair falling out or excessive dryness. If your hair is falling out it could very well be an allergic reaction. There's a reason why they tell you to completely read the instructions before dying your hair, in the instructions they tell you to do an allergy testing prior to dying your hair. Always, always read instructions completely before using a product. Also, I was told that this oil based dye was better for hair then amonia based dyes. And I've noticed since ive switched to the olia brand, my hair is healthier after dying then the amonia based garnier nutrisse that I was using before. just my experience though

3 2 Reply
Mandybee

Jun 03 Sydney, New South Wales

DO NOT USE AMMONIA BASED PRODUCTS IF YOU HAVE USED THIS PRODUCT PRIOR! The dye used in this (it is a metallic salt dye apparently) has an adverse reaction with ammonia. It will turn your hair to jelly! I can literally only use semi's now until i either have the salts stripped from my hair or let it grow out.
There are no warnings about this on the product! It reacted in the same way that henna dye reacts to dyes/bleach.
Unfortunately had 3/4 of my hair cut off and am now sporting a "pob"
Is fine if you only use this product but if you went out and then got highlights etc it wouldn’t go down well most likely.
This is the first time I have ever had an issue with any dye products.
Prior to this i was happy with the product, wont be using it again as I have since found that the chemicals used in these "No ammonia" dyes are far far worse for you than the alternative, with many being carcinogenic. *additional Info - have just found somebody else this has just happened too, unfortunately she was not as lucky as i was and has lost most of her hair and got very bad burns. Same dye 8.0 blonde, not sure if this issue is across the board or just with this specific shade.

2 2 Reply
Candisa

Apr 14

I switched to this product 5 months ago. I've colored my hair most of my life and thanks to my Greek heritage me and my family all have thick manes. Until now :( I've lost a third of the hair on my head and I thought it to be a hormone problem due to age. I went in got my thyroid and hormones tested.. normal. Can't believe it didn't occur to me that it was this. I have long curly hair..now its dry, tangles up all day long and I'm having to throw away hand fulls of it daily. I sadly colored again two days ago only to finally look this up. :(

Mela

Apr 05 Dublin, Dublin

So toxic!!! I had very bad allergy after used it! I'm still in bed... please don't use it"!

1 1 Reply
Razzie

Mar 27

Thank god I found this site - I used Olia once and it was awesome - the second time I noticed the extreme dryness and I wondered whether I accidentally left it on longer than I should have - I'm about to recolour again but after reading all these comments - I'm going to another brand - I know it wasn't me!!! Thanks everyone.

3 0 Reply
susu

Mar 14 Milford, New Hampshire

An addendum to my earlier comment: My mother's hair has also been falling out, and has thinned considerably. We both have always had very thick hair. Tod and conditioner. Does anyone know where Garnier I learned that she colored her hair with Garnier Nutrisse, and uses the Garner shampoo.

Susu

Mar 13

My hair has been falling out in clumps since using this product. It also falls out if I simply run my hand through my hair. I never experienced this with Loreal Root Touch up. My hair is so thin now, and it used to be very thick. I am extremely disappointed, and worried that it won't stop falling out.

0 1 Reply
marlin08

Mar 12 Bellevue, Washington

I just tried it and my hair falled out too. Its sad I did not reviewed the product before applying it on my hair. It was the brown color aswell don't try this its all a lie.

CC

Feb 22

I'ts totally made my hair fall out too...I'm losing 10x the amount of hair I normally do and have been coloring my hair a natural brown color for ages....I'm pissed! I've contacted them and they have done nothing! I'm losing hair in my bed with no hair tie and tons in the shower and in my brush! I couldn't me more pissed off!

0 1 Reply
CC

Feb 22

also I had been using their nutrisse line of dye for the past 3 years previously to this Olia, "you'll love how your hair comes out" experience!

dissapointed

Feb 22 Cleveland, Ohio

Oh wow...I had the same issue. Same color choice as well. This color comes out black not brown. My hair is so dry. Every time I wash my hair multiple strands come out in clumps from root to ends..it not breakage of dead ends. I condition my hair often in hopes to she the rest of my hair. I have colored my hair at home many times using loreal. I was hoping that olia would do less damage as it was not ammonia based.....BE AWARE!

nikki

Jan 29

I purchased Olia in Dark Golden Brown and had a similar experience. I did the strand test and it was fine - so I went ahead and applied it all over my hair. While it was sitting on my head I started to get a bad headache. I looked in the mirror and noticed red blotchy patches on my face. Immediately I rinsed it out. This was 3 days ago. Since then I've noticed my hair falling out more and actually have 2 balding patches in the front of my head :( I've had super thick hair all my life & never have I had to deal with losing or thinning hair. I'm so upset

Shay

Jan 15 Michigan Center, Michigan

That's why you are suppose to do an allergy test before using the product, it says it right on the instructions. You losing your hair is due to your own Ignorance. I have used this product twice with no problem.

3 8 Reply

Jan 01 Singapore, Singapore

Thank you all of the reviews. I had wanted to purchase this dye today as my best friend raved to me about this product that it was awesome etc etc. Fortunately, I searched for reviews and found out some negative reviews online which stated that it cause tremendous hair falling. I am one who would be concerned more about negative reviews so I googled Garnier Olia cause hair falling and I came across this website with over 70 people who had this bad experience.

Thank you all for the reviews, if not I would be balding badly by tomorrow. (I have fine hair to begin with)

Cilly

Dec 19, 2013

The same thing happened to me a few months ago. My hair stopped falling out after about 5-6 weeks. Half my hair is gone but I have fine baby hairs growing in now. What worked for me was to be very very gentle when handling my hair, no brushing, added water toy shampoo, mooshed conditioner into my hair instead of running my fingers through it. For some reason a swimmers shampoo helped a lot, I used Malibu C shampoo and Carol's Daughter Monoi conditioner every day and dried my hair by tying an old t shirt around it

mel

Dec 13, 2013

It has been three weeks since dying my hair with olia 3.16 . I did a strand test and all was well. However, since colouring the whole of my hair, it has been a nightmare. My scalp has a burning sensation and my hair has fallen out in clumps. Each day more and more is shedding in huge amounts and I already look noticably balding. My biggest fear is that the roots have been damaged and I will be left like this forever. I went to see the nurse at our local surgery, she has suggested blood tests for anaemia despite me telling her about the dye. I am gutted.

1-20 of 101 comments

×
You were reading a complaint about Garnier.
Filing a new complaint about
×