Garnier Olia caused hair to fall out.

I found Garnier's new product Olia hair color on the shelves at Wal-Mart this morning and decided to give it a try.I have used boxed hair color in the past and have always had good luck.

I used shade darkest brown 3.0. Following the directions I rinsed the hair color out in the shower and upon applying the conditioner noticed that my hair was coming out in clumps!

Not only is my hair thinner, damaged and NOT the color I thought it would be now I have to live with the fact that this supposedly "great" product made a lot of my hair fall out!I am so upset and would NEVER recomend this product to anyone else.

review #371448
919 137 Helpful?
Had the same issue101 Comments117
Had an experience with Garnier?  Submit review about this company
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

1 day ago #1014323

I just used this product for the first time today in the shade soft blue black and A CLUMP of my hair fell out, i followed the directions and everything, ive been dying my hair for 3 years now and today was the first time using a boxed dye.. Never again. I DO NOT recommend olia

May 05 #980333

I just tried this on my gray hair. Left it on for 40 minutes and used the whole tube of conditioner for 10 minutes under shower cap. Very happy with results. I am skeptical about using it again after reading these reviews but so far so good.

Raerae

Apr 11 #970808 Brampton, Ontario

To those fools saying you should have tested it out. Dont be so naive. Its a chemical reaction and normally wouldnt show on the patch test. I also tried it and mu hair was fine. Now there are two bald spots on both sides of my hair. I wish i checked this first. I have been crying day in day out. I dont know what to do am embarassed and my self esteem is destroyed. I washed my hair out today hoping itll stop shedding. Lets just pray there is a solution for this.

Jul 17 #1008899

How long ago did you use this product?

Essie

Mar 31 #966187 Fort Walton Beach, Florida

I used Garnier Full & Plush shampoo and conditioner and my hair came out

Cass

Mar 03 #953543 Goulburn, New South Wales

I was minutes of my hair turning to jelly ,if I wasn't talking online to my hairdresser friend I wouldn't have hair today , it formed matted dreadlocks and my scalp was hot , I had to wash it twice ,pour a litre of milk on my scalp and smother in conditioner til morning , never again with I trust this product .

Daniella

Dec 15, 2014 #916256 Toronto, Ontario

DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT.
I had virgin hair that I wanted to have a richer colour to it. I thought this would be the safest option.
My hairline is receding dramatically after three weeks. I have noticed fall-out on my pillow, bathroom floor and in the shower. I have also noticed a lot of flyways and as well and my hair was strong and silky prior.
I am unsure of what to do at this point as my roots are growing back. I am off to see a colourist ASAP.

5 2 Reply
Hairless

Mar 06 #954829 Toronto, Ontario

I used this product 6 times before dumb me figured out it was Olia causing my hair loss ( now up to 90 % breakage..getting my hair ((what's left)) buzzed off today) all my beautiful long hair that now looks like Mange..thought it was my health failing or something ..ran to doctor and she said HAIR DYE ..OLIA .
This is a crime and this company should be made to pay ..Class Action Anyone ?

TC

Nov 13, 2014 #899731

Wow. Finally connecting the dots now. My hair has been thinning a lot and coming out more than usual and is starting to "recede" in the front especially. Had blood work done to test for hormonal imbalance, etc. but all came up normal. It MUST be the Olia colour. I've used it maybe 3 times at the most but my hair is in the WORST shape it has ever been...and I have been colouring my hair for more than 15 years. I trusted this company and was excited it was ammonia free, oil based. I'm now taking supplements, using biotin shampoo...all in the hope I can reverse the damage this horrible product has caused. Back to Loreal sublime mousse for me...should never have switched :( AVOID Olia!!!!!

4 1 Reply

Oct 19, 2014 #886924

I used this same brand because consumer reports recommended it. I did experience hair loss immediately afterwards. I always assumed it was a coincidence??

4 0 Reply

Aug 30, 2014 #863289

I'm facing the same problem since about 2 months ago.... has anyone found a solution to this
hair fall already... or any remedy to stop it... pls do share if you have a way to stop this.....

7 2 Reply
Cushy

Oct 18, 2014 #886732 Ontario, Canada

I regret the day I ever decided to try this hair color. I have been coloring my hair for 30 years now, to cover the grey. My hair fell out in clumps. My only solution was to let my hair go completely grey again. My only small salvation was that his Olia did not do a very good job at covering the grey, so I only had to wait about 2 months for it to disappear 100% from my scalp. When my hair was completely grey again and I used my regular brand and I haven't had any more hair falling out. It will be a very long while before all my hair grows back, but at least it is no longer falling out. I hate, hate, hate, this product. I know it's not very comforting to hear at this moment when your hair is falling out, but it will stop. My advice is to not use any other coloring product, until Olia is completely out of your hair. I am wishing you all the best.

7 0 Reply
upset customer

Aug 08, 2014 #853465

I have used olia hair dye and have experience hair thinning and hair loss. Please becareful about using this product. Would not recommend at all. I have tingling on my scalp and have bald patchs. It has been three month since I last use it and my head and hair is still the same, have been dying my hair for years and never experienced anything like this, one very unhappy customer, would not use again.

3 0 Reply
J Blessed

Sep 02, 2014 #864874

The same thing happened to me. I am so unhappy. Will never use this product again!!!!!!!

4 1 Reply
Sony 17

Jul 17, 2014 #841836

My hair is not falling out,yet.Did not cover grays.On the box it's says 100% in my case it's 0%,and I've been coloring my hair for nine years.My hair is extremly dry now,and I have headache...for days.Never,ever again.

1 0 Reply
Jacki

Jul 03, 2014 #835620

I've just experienced fall out! Like clumps in the shower! I thought it was from lack of brushing today. WTF

5 0 Reply
gabby

Jun 27, 2014 #833155

I have been using the olia dye for monthes now, and have been 100% satisfied. I have used various shades of red in my hair and had wonderful results. No hair falling out or excessive dryness. If your hair is falling out it could very well be an allergic reaction. There's a reason why they tell you to completely read the instructions before dying your hair, in the instructions they tell you to do an allergy testing prior to dying your hair. Always, always read instructions completely before using a product. Also, I was told that this oil based dye was better for hair then amonia based dyes. And I've noticed since ive switched to the olia brand, my hair is healthier after dying then the amonia based garnier nutrisse that I was using before. just my experience though

7 3 Reply
Mandi

Oct 25, 2014 #890417 Louisville, Kentucky

me too! I use it and my hair has not fallen out. It's actually healthier. I was a bleach blonde prior to decided to go darker. I actually do a triple process on my hair, 2 of them are Olia. I color it brown and then pull it through a cap and bleach it for just a few minutes then, color the lightened with red. I love this color and my hair. I actually use everything Garnier. Shampoo, Conditioner, leave in conditioner, Argan oil, flat iron spray and hair spray. I have never had a problem with any of their products.

Mandybee

Jun 03, 2014 #823173 Sydney, New South Wales

DO NOT USE AMMONIA BASED PRODUCTS IF YOU HAVE USED THIS PRODUCT PRIOR! The dye used in this (it is a metallic salt dye apparently) has an adverse reaction with ammonia. It will turn your hair to jelly! I can literally only use semi's now until i either have the salts stripped from my hair or let it grow out.
There are no warnings about this on the product! It reacted in the same way that henna dye reacts to dyes/bleach.
Unfortunately had 3/4 of my hair cut off and am now sporting a "pob"
Is fine if you only use this product but if you went out and then got highlights etc it wouldn’t go down well most likely.
This is the first time I have ever had an issue with any dye products.
Prior to this i was happy with the product, wont be using it again as I have since found that the chemicals used in these "No ammonia" dyes are far far worse for you than the alternative, with many being carcinogenic. *additional Info - have just found somebody else this has just happened too, unfortunately she was not as lucky as i was and has lost most of her hair and got very bad burns. Same dye 8.0 blonde, not sure if this issue is across the board or just with this specific shade.

6 3 Reply

Apr 21 #974677

There are no metallic dyes or salts in this product. Got the info directly from the company, and they can't lie about it. Check your sources better.

1-20 of 117 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.