I purchased the Garnier "Blow Dry Perfector" kit that claims to keep your hair sleek and easier to blow-dry for up to 7 washes. Here's just the tip of the iceberg that Garnier received from me as a complaint.
1.) The smell. The instructions say "there may be an odor" but that's got to be the understatement of the CENTURY. In fact, if you've got a weak stomach, I would think this stuff would make you vomit. It smells like a mixture between rotten eggs, sewer water, and pickle juice --I'm not exaggerating. This should have tipped me off that this stuff wasn't as "gentle" as it claimed to be, but I just wrote it off and used the 20-minute serum as directed.
2.) "The ruining"
When it finally came to rinse it out, I realized not only did my hair feel dryer, it felt coarser. I just thought "Okay, there's no way this could be real damage, it says in the instructions it's NOT a chemical-straightening system... Maybe once I condition it and put the blow dry cream in it will be fine." So I rinsed it out, conditioned, and applied the blow dry cream as directed. I began blow drying my hair with a round brush as recommended for a smooth blowout, and by the first piece of hair I knew something was horribly, TERRIBLY wrong. My hair was puffing up and breaking off like I had bleached it over 5 times in a row. It also took out my hair toner I put in to keep it from turning yellow! I couldn't believe it! Completely panicking and flabbergasted, I ran upstairs to my bathroom and quickly shampooed and conditioned this garbage out of my hair and then applied a conditioning treatment which ended up not being enough.
3.) Had to get it professionally "fixed." It won't be the same for a while --So 2 days after the debacle, I had to get my hair professionally conditioned and they had to cut so much out of my hair that it looks butchered. I went to the best hairstylist in my town and there wasn't much she could do. She wouldn't even heat-style it because she was terrified my hair would melt. My ends, when wet, looked like clear Chinese noodles. It was appalling.
I'm NOT new to haircare. I'm a hair and makeup artist for my photography company and I do them both very well. I've tried all kinds of products from the serums that are $50/oz. to Suave $2 shampoos and I have never, EVER had a haircare product screw up my hair to such BIBLICAL proportions. In fact, I can't even think of one that has done anything like that at all! I've even used OTC bleaching kits and nothing like that happened.
So, in total, even though I got the kit on clearance (also should have tipped me off) here is what I lost:
-Garnier Kit: $5.00+6% tax=$6.50
-30 minute deep conditioning treatment at salon: $30.00
-trim that turned into a cut: $10.00
-tip: $10.00 (Over 15%, yes, but they all treated me like a human being instead of scolding me for using something like that and knocked down their prices because they felt awful for me.)
Garnier products have always been sub-par in comparison to other haircare products. From their finishing products being too heavy, greasy, or "gummy" in the hair, to their hair color not performing any differently from discount brands. The ONLY Garnier product I will ever continue to purchase is their moisturizing gel that is a clear knockoff of Clinique's Moisture Surge. Besides that, never again.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Review category
- Cosmetics and Toiletries
You May Also Like
- "I ordered the Luminess Airbrush System after seeing an advertisement and demo on late night TV. What was not said in the advert was that the $24.91 for a 30..."
- "SCAM!! SCAM!! SCAM!! Do not order from this so call company. I ordered the kinky kurl out unit on March 7, 2015. On March 20, 2015 I emiled them to..."
- "So my hair is originally dark brownish red, i wanted to dye my hair black so i bought this olia brand in black. At first I was very impressed with..."
- "I ordered from Lynn's Foliage Bank in Mayer AZ, flowers for Mothers day. Mom sent me a picture of what she recieved and I was shocked. I went back onto..."
- "This poorly maintained Golden Corral is along I-81, Hagerstown, MD. Store #2600. My wife and I, after paying at the entrance for the buffet, were absolutely shocked at..."
- "I WENT TO REGIS TO GET MY HAIR COLORED. I AM BLONDE,BUT I WANTED IT LIGHTENED WITH SOME PLATINUM STREAKS. MY HAIR IS 2 SHADES DARKER THAN WHEN..."
- "We own a 2013 Honda CR-V it has performed very well until recently. The car was sitting in a parking lot . A crook came along side of the car..."
- "Great partner and company, design build and operate super concepts. Genius Was ecstatic to work on E_P with mr keyes. It started my career..."
- "HI i recently purchased the instyler max, as i was letting it heat up to full capacity i had it sitting on the so called heat pad and lucky i..."