11.1K views

I found Garnier's new product Olia hair color on the shelves at Wal-Mart this morning and decided to give it a try. I have used boxed hair color in the past and have always had good luck.

I used shade darkest brown 3.0. Following the directions I rinsed the hair color out in the shower and upon applying the conditioner noticed that my hair was coming out in clumps!

Not only is my hair thinner, damaged and NOT the color I thought it would be now I have to live with the fact that this supposedly "great" product made a lot of my hair fall out! I am so upset and would NEVER recomend this product to anyone else.

Product or Service Mentioned: Garnier Hair Dye.

Comments

to Cushy Sydney, New South Wales, Australia #1274030

I'm interested to hear if you have recovered from the hair loss. Did all your lost hair grow back ok?

I have used olia hair dye and have experience hair thinning and hair loss. Please becareful about using this product.

Would not recommend at all.

I have tingling on my scalp and have bald patchs. It has been three month since I last use it and my head and hair is still the same, have been dying my hair for years and never experienced anything like this, one very unhappy customer, would not use again.

to upset customer #864874

The same thing happened to me. I am so unhappy. Will never use this product again!!!!!!!

to upset customer #1210607

Did your hair recover from the loss? I'm interested to hear a follow up as I am experiencing this now :-(

My hair is not falling out,yet.Did not cover grays.On the box it's says 100% in my case it's 0%,and I've been coloring my hair for nine years.My hair is extremly dry now,and I have headache...for days.Never,ever again.

I've just experienced fall out! Like clumps in the shower!

I thought it was from lack of brushing today. WTF

I have been using the olia dye for monthes now, and have been 100% satisfied. I have used various shades of red in my hair and had wonderful results.

No hair falling out or excessive dryness. If your hair is falling out it could very well be an allergic reaction. There's a reason why they tell you to completely read the instructions before dying your hair, in the instructions they tell you to do an allergy testing prior to dying your hair. Always, always read instructions completely before using a product.

Also, I was told that this oil based dye was better for hair then amonia based dyes.

And I've noticed since ive switched to the olia brand, my hair is healthier after dying then the amonia based garnier nutrisse that I was using before. just my experience though

to gabby Louisville, Kentucky, United States #890417

me too! I use it and my hair has not fallen out.

It's actually healthier. I was a bleach blonde prior to decided to go darker. I actually do a triple process on my hair, 2 of them are Olia. I color it brown and then pull it through a cap and bleach it for just a few minutes then, color the lightened with red.

I love this color and my hair. I actually use everything Garnier. Shampoo, Conditioner, leave in conditioner, Argan oil, flat iron spray and hair spray.

I have never had a problem with any of their products.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia #823173

DO NOT USE AMMONIA BASED PRODUCTS IF YOU HAVE USED THIS PRODUCT PRIOR! The dye used in this (it is a metallic salt dye apparently) has an adverse reaction with ammonia.

It will turn your hair to jelly! I can literally only use semi's now until i either have the salts stripped from my hair or let it grow out.

There are no warnings about this on the product! It reacted in the same way that henna dye reacts to dyes/bleach.

Unfortunately had 3/4 of my hair cut off and am now sporting a "pob"

Is fine if you only use this product but if you went out and then got highlights etc it wouldn’t go down well most likely.

This is the first time I have ever had an issue with any dye products.

Prior to this i was happy with the product, wont be using it again as I have since found that the chemicals used in these "No ammonia" dyes are far far worse for you than the alternative, with many being carcinogenic.

*additional Info - have just found somebody else this has just happened too, unfortunately she was not as lucky as i was and has lost most of her hair and got very bad burns. Same dye 8.0 blonde, not sure if this issue is across the board or just with this specific shade.

to Mandybee #974677

There are no metallic dyes or salts in this product. Got the info directly from the company, and they can't lie about it. Check your sources better.

to Anonymous #1127104

I'm curious, how did you get the information from the company? I'm interested in bleaching my hair, but I've used this product.

I switched to this product 5 months ago. I've colored my hair most of my life and thanks to my Greek heritage me and my family all have thick manes.

Until now :( I've lost a third of the hair on my head and I thought it to be a hormone problem due to age. I went in got my thyroid and hormones tested.. normal. Can't believe it didn't occur to me that it was this.

I have long curly hair..now its dry, tangles up all day long and I'm having to throw away hand fulls of it daily.

I sadly colored again two days ago only to finally look this up. :(
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland #802243

So toxic!!! I had very bad allergy after used it!

I'm still in bed... please don't use it"!

Thank god I found this site - I used Olia once and it was awesome - the second time I noticed the extreme dryness and I wondered whether I accidentally left it on longer than I should have - I'm about to recolour again but after reading all these comments - I'm going to another brand - I know it wasn't me!!! Thanks everyone.

Milford, New Hampshire, United States #794853

An addendum to my earlier comment: My mother's hair has also been falling out, and has thinned considerably. We both have always had very thick hair.

Tod and conditioner. Does anyone know where Garnier I learned that she colored her hair with Garnier Nutrisse, and uses the Garner shampoo.

My hair has been falling out in clumps since using this product. It also falls out if I simply run my hand through my hair.

I never experienced this with Loreal Root Touch up.

My hair is so thin now, and it used to be very thick. I am extremely disappointed, and worried that it won't stop falling out.

to Susu #1199632

Hi Susu,

This is happening to me now :-( I'm interested to hear how long it took your hair to stop falling out and if you have recovered? Also, was there anything that helped you?

marlin08
Bellevue, Washington, United States #793713
I just tried it and my hair falled out too. Its sad I did not reviewed the product before applying it on my hair. It was the brown color aswell don't try this its all a lie.

I'ts totally made my hair fall out too...I'm losing 10x the amount of hair I normally do and have been coloring my hair a natural brown color for ages....I'm pissed! I've contacted them and they have done nothing!

I'm losing hair in my bed with no hair tie and tons in the shower and in my brush! I couldn't me more pissed off!

to CC #787754

also I had been using their nutrisse line of dye for the past 3 years previously to this Olia, "you'll love how your hair comes out" experience!