11.1K views

I found Garnier's new product Olia hair color on the shelves at Wal-Mart this morning and decided to give it a try. I have used boxed hair color in the past and have always had good luck.

I used shade darkest brown 3.0. Following the directions I rinsed the hair color out in the shower and upon applying the conditioner noticed that my hair was coming out in clumps!

Not only is my hair thinner, damaged and NOT the color I thought it would be now I have to live with the fact that this supposedly "great" product made a lot of my hair fall out! I am so upset and would NEVER recomend this product to anyone else.

Product or Service Mentioned: Garnier Hair Dye.

Comments

to CC #1209613

Hi, how long did it take for you to stop loosing an abnormal amount of hair. Has your hair grown back. I am interested to know since what you have described is exactly what I am experiencing now :-(

Cleveland, Ohio, United States #787571

Oh wow...I had the same issue. Same color choice as well.

This color comes out black not brown. My hair is so dry. Every time I wash my hair multiple strands come out in clumps from root to ends..it not breakage of dead ends. I condition my hair often in hopes to she the rest of my hair.

I have colored my hair at home many times using loreal. I was hoping that olia would do less damage as it was not ammonia based.....BE AWARE!

I purchased Olia in Dark Golden Brown and had a similar experience. I did the strand test and it was fine - so I went ahead and applied it all over my hair.

While it was sitting on my head I started to get a bad headache. I looked in the mirror and noticed red blotchy patches on my face. Immediately I rinsed it out. This was 3 days ago.

Since then I've noticed my hair falling out more and actually have 2 balding patches in the front of my head :( I've had super thick hair all my life & never have I had to deal with losing or thinning hair. I'm so upset
Michigan Center, Michigan, United States #774097

That's why you are suppose to do an allergy test before using the product, it says it right on the instructions. You losing your hair is due to your own Ignorance. I have used this product twice with no problem.

to Shay #886889

I did the allergy test and strand test, both fine! Hair is in the worst condition ever! I'd hardly call that "ignorance"

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore #767018

Thank you all of the reviews. I had wanted to purchase this dye today as my best friend raved to me about this product that it was awesome etc etc.

Fortunately, I searched for reviews and found out some negative reviews online which stated that it cause tremendous hair falling. I am one who would be concerned more about negative reviews so I googled Garnier Olia cause hair falling and I came across this website with over 70 people who had this bad experience.

Thank you all for the reviews, if not I would be balding badly by tomorrow. (I have fine hair to begin with)

The same thing happened to me a few months ago. My hair stopped falling out after about 5-6 weeks.

Half my hair is gone but I have fine baby hairs growing in now.

What worked for me was to be very very gentle when handling my hair, no brushing, added water toy shampoo, mooshed conditioner into my hair instead of running my fingers through it. For some reason a swimmers shampoo helped a lot, I used Malibu C shampoo and Carol's Daughter Monoi conditioner every day and dried my hair by tying an old t shirt around it

to Cilly #1200116

Did your hair grow back ok? This is happening to me now. I dyed my hair with Olia 3.5 weeks ago.

It has been three weeks since dying my hair with olia 3.16 . I did a strand test and all was well.

However, since colouring the whole of my hair, it has been a nightmare. My scalp has a burning sensation and my hair has fallen out in clumps. Each day more and more is shedding in huge amounts and I already look noticably balding. My biggest fear is that the roots have been damaged and I will be left like this forever.

I went to see the nurse at our local surgery, she has suggested blood tests for anaemia despite me telling her about the dye. I am gutted.

to mel #1200120

How long did it take for your hair to stop falling out? Did it grow back ok? I'm experiencing this condition now

Newcastle, England, United Kingdom #752921
I coloured my hair yesterday with a garnier nutrisse hair dye. Is supposed to restore the nutrients in your hair..

now this was a brown hair dye and my hair is green of what i have left coming out in clumps now i cant do nothing with it so not only its so thin its not even the right colour or soft its in the worst condition ive ever had..

will never ever use any garnier products ever again!!!! :sigh
Naples, Florida, United States #748001
Yes, I tried this product and I had the same result, fist I though I was just loosing hair and kept using it, big mistake, after 6 month my hair did not only thin out really bad, ( I have fine hair, but a lot) but my hair got so thin, I mean each individual hair got so thin I have to use a dark background to look at each hair. I'm approx. 60% gray and would like to stay blond as long as I can, but not at the cost of going bald.

I don't know how to stop the hair loss, and I'm scared to use any other hair color now. Does anyone have any suggestions?
:cry :( :roll :eek :(
to christine Altona North, Victoria, Australia #1215516

Hi Christine,

Did your hair loss stop and your hair grow back ok? Haver you been able to dye your hair again after this experience?

Towson, Maryland, United States #743254
OMG!!! I am so happy I found this site!!

I thought I was going crazy because my hair has gradually been getting thinner and thinner since I started using Olia. While I Iike the texture and color of my hair after coloring, it just keeps getting thinner, esp. In the areas where I first apply the product and where it remains on the longest...the front! I thought hormones, thyroid, etc.

but everything is checking out normal. Now I KNOW it is the color! I have been coloring my hair for 15 years, never experienced anything like this!

I will have to hope it will grow back! :sigh
to anonymous #787752
Same thing here! they did nothing when I contacted them I'd previously been using nutrisse and when I switched to olia my hair has been like straw since them breaking off in consistent 4" pieces in my bed while I sleep and literally have to clear the drain in the shower 3 times while washing my hair!!!!

this stuff can't be "natural" I've never experienced this type of hair loss!

I am beyond rage status. :( :cry :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Los Angeles, California, United States #739692

I too have experienced some hair loss by using Olia hair color.This has been mostly on the left side upper part of the head, but also the top has thinned somewhat too, just after I have been using the Olia for about 6 or 7 months. Olia is advertised to be beneficial for the hair, yet I also noticed that it is drying too, just the opposite of what was expected.I am switching to a natural hair color after this bad experience with Olia.

I have experienced extreme hair loss due to using olia does anyone know if there is a way to stop the hair loss or how long it lasts for? I used the product a month ago and I am still losing a signficant amount of hair.

Thanks.

I covered my over processed hair with medium brown. I haven't worn my hair down since.

It looked better over processed-at least I wore it down. I just figured it was just time for a good hair cut. After reading this maybe my hair is just colour ugly now and more fried. I am getting it cut tomorrow :(
I am just thankful it's not falling out.

Sorry to hear this. And NO patch test could ever predict that result.

If you read the instructions you would had did a test strand first, as recommended.

to Crystal #734345

I NEVER use a hair dye with out doing a strand test. A strand test would NOT let you know that your hair will fall out in clumps!

The strand test went off with out a hitch, and I followed the directions to the letter. And I'm having the exact same problem as the original poster. My hair has thinned out so much that my friends and husband have voiced concern. I'm happy that you have used products and haven't had to go through this type of ***.

And even though your short comment sounds condescending and makes me wish something bad on you, I won't. Because I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy